Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Student Shoots Advisor At St. Louis School; Turns Gun On Himself

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI) – A student reportedly shot himself after shooting a financial advisor at the Stevens Institute of Business and Arts in downtown St. Louis, MO Tuesday afternoon.
Authorities said the student walked in the building, took the elevator to the 4th floor, then shot one of the school’s financial advisers in the chest with a handgun. The shooting happened in the financial adviser’s office.
The student then turned the gun on himself. He was found between the third and fourth floor in a stairwell of the five story building.
Police say that this was not a random shooting. The financial adviser was targeted. The victim is believed to be 40-50 years old.
St. Louis City Police Chief Sam Dotson said, “What we found was, a white male, late 40s had been the victim of gunshot wound. He was taken to the hospital. We began a floor by floor search looking for the gunman.  In a stairwell between the 3rd and 4th floor we found what we believed to be the shooter suffering from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.  We recovered the weapon and took the suspect into custody. He was transported to the hospital. Both the victim are at the hospital in surgery right now.”
The gunman and the financial adviser are the only people who were shot. The victim and the gunman were both rushed to St. Louis University Hospital.  The gunman is reportedly in grave condition.
The gunman was well known by the faculty.  He was a long time part-time student at the school.
Students and faculty locked themselves into offices in the building after the shooter was discovered in the stairwell. It was a tense situation after the shooter was discovered and before authorities arrived on the scene.  Students and faculty left the building after they were dismissed by police.  Witnesses described the ordeal as passing quickly and in an orderly manner.
There is still a tremendous police presence at the scene.  Authorities have cleared the building floor by floor.  Students and faculty have been evacuated from the building. The scene looks calm and police appear to be in evidence gathering mode.
Faculty and staff were taken to a safe location and are being debriefed by police.
Washington Street has been shut down because of the shooting.  It may be open for rush hour later this afternoon.
This is a developing story.  More details will be posted as they come in.

School Link;

Actual Location; Google Maps


No comments:

Post a Comment